Ingredients: Serves 6-7
200g Dark Chocolate (70% Cocoa Solids)
150g Demerara Sugar
60g Refined Shea Butter
110g Ground Almonds
5 Eggs, separated
1 tbsp flax seed (optional)
1 Shot of brandy (optional use on special occasions)
50ml Ground coffee ( brewed with 3 crushed cardamon pods & 1 star anise )
Good pinch of sea salt, ground ginger, cinnamon & chilli powder
Gold Leaf ( impress family and friends )
20-23cm loose bottomed cake tin
Oven 180ºC gas mark 4
1. Preheat the other 180C° gas mark 4 , grease inside of 20-23cm deep cake tin with Shea Butter.
2. Brew 50ml of ground coffee with cardamom pods and star anise, seep for at least 5mins.
3. In a glass bowl melt the chocolate, sugar, shea butter and butter over a pan of boiling water. Next add coffee mixture, along with a good pinch of sea salt, ground ginger cinnamon & chilli powder (optional extra add the shot of brandy).
4. Make sure the chocolate mixture is not too hot, mix in ground almonds and flax seed(optional) and add egg yorks.
5. In a large bowl beat the egg whites until stiff, fold gently into the chocolate mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and bake for 35 to 45 minutes depending on how squidgy you like it. Let it cool in the tin, then turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
For added touch decorate with gold leaf, or dust with cocoa powder. This is the flourless cake that uses almonds and is really good for gluten sufferers. This cake recipe was created for The Savannah Fruits Company Ghana.
© Malcolm Riley